Belle Isle Nature Zoo — Volunteer Opportunities
The BINZ Brigade is a group of dedicated individuals who have a particular connection to Belle Isle as well as the mission of “bringing the wilds of Michigan to the heart of Detroit” at the Belle Isle Nature Zoo (BINZ). Volunteers assist the staff with projects, greet visitors or field trip groups, and help with public feedings at the Deer Encounter. There are monthly opportunities to support nature programs with craft activities for young children, or seasonal opportunities to share gardening skills around the BINZ grounds. BINZ Brigade volunteers also answer questions about the frogs, salamanders, turtles, bees and fish that can be seen in the facility. See Application Packet for full description (PDF).
- Time commitment: 20 hours per calendar year
- Training: individual orientation and job shadowing; $16 uniform
- Scheduling: Flexible, 3-4 hour shifts
- Availability: Year-round; weekend shifts are available year-round, daily shifts occur mid-June through Labor Day.
There are three steps to becoming a volunteer at the BINZ:
- Attend Volunteer Orientation Part 1, Part 2 and BINZ Volunteer Orientation.
- Complete an interview with Volunteer Services staff member.
- Shadow a current BINZ volunteer.
BINZ Volunteer Orientations are held at the Belle Isle Nature Zoo Auditorium.