Belle Isle Nature Zoo — Volunteer Opportunities
The BINZ Brigade is a group of dedicated individuals who have a particular connection to Belle Isle as well as the mission of “bringing the wilds of Michigan to the heart of Detroit” at the Belle Isle Nature Zoo (BINZ). Volunteers assist the staff with projects, greet visitors and help with public feedings at the Deer Encounter. Monthly themed programs with a craft activity, snacks and guest speaker educate families and school children and many other special events are scheduled throughout the year. They also answer questions about the frogs, toads, turtles, bees and fish that can be seen in the facility. See Application Packet for full description (PDF).
- Time commitment: 20 hours per calendar year
- Training: individual orientation and job shadowing; $16 uniform
- Scheduling: Flexible, 3-4 hour shifts
- Availability: Year-round (Wednesday-Sunday)
Weekend shifts are available year-round; daily shifts occur mid-June through Labor Day.
There are three steps to becoming a volunteer at the BINZ:
- Attend BINZ Volunteer Orientation
- Complete an interview with Volunteer Services staff member.
- Shadow a current BINZ volunteer.
BINZ Volunteer Orientations are held at the Belle Isle Nature Zoo Auditorium.