$7 with skate rental - $3 bring your own skates
Open daily 10:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., weather permitting
From the Polk Penguin Conservation Center to the Arctic Ring of Life, the Detroit Zoo has winter wrapped up from pole to pole. And now you can even lace up and skate on our new Winter Rink! Located inside the Zoo in front of the penguin center, the rink is made of Glice, a synthetic silicon plastic ice that provides an ecological substitute for conventional ice. A 25-minute skating session is $7 per person ages 4 and older ($3 if you bring your own ice skates). So bring the whole family out for some winter fun!
Tickets are available at the Skate Rental Tent next to the Polk Penguin Conservation Center.
The Winter Rink is closed during Wild Lights. Online tickets are not available at this time; skating cannot be used as part of a ZooMORE! package.
Rules and Regulations
- Only approved ice skates are allowed on the rink
- Personal skates must be sharpened by Detroit Zoo rink staff prior to skating
- Those participating in activities assume all inherent risks and responsibilities, whether spectator or participant
- Children under the age of 4 are not permitted to skate
- Children under 12 must be directly supervised at all times by the adult responsible for their care
- You must clear the ice immediately when your skate session ends
- No shoes or boots allowed on the rink
- No food or beverages allowed on the rink
- Carrying children on the rink is prohibited
- Skaters must skate with the flow of traffic
- No more than three persons allowed to hold hands while skating
- No fast or careless skating
- Jumps and spins should be avoided when other skaters are near
- No horseplay or potentially unsafe games allowed on the rink (e.g., tag or whip)
- No rough play or use of equipment
- Maximum capacity: 31 skaters
- Closed at night and during rain or inclement weather
- Detroit Zoological Society is not responsible for unattended, lost or stolen articles