Detroit Zoo Safety Guidelines & Updates
Our goal is to provide a great Zoo experience in an environment that is as safe as possible for all. To maintain the health and safety of our guests, staff and endangered animals, there are a few safety guidelines and updates we would like you to review before your arrival.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
- Buy early and save! All general admission guests are encouraged to buy tickets in advance online. Tickets can be purchased here. General admission tickets are available at the gate each day with pricing of $20 per child or senior, and $25 per adult. The best way to guarantee your Detroit Zoo experience, at the best price, is to purchase your advance tickets today.
- After purchasing your tickets, you will receive an email with your digital ticket, safety details and a digital map, as the Zoo will not be providing paper maps. Please check your spam folder if you do not receive your tickets after making a reservation.
AS YOU ARRIVE
- Parking is available in the surface lots and the parking structure.
- Please show your ID and membership card (if applicable) before presenting your digital or printed timed ticket to the booth attendant, who will scan it.
DURING YOUR VISIT
- The Polk Penguin Conservation Center is free with Detroit Zoo admission; however, entry to every guest is NOT GUARANTEED. To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all guests, those planning to visit the Polk Penguin Conservation Center will join the organized queue line adjacent to the building entrance. Detroit Zoological Society memberships and advance admission tickets will not guarantee a pass to the Polk Penguin Conservation Center.
- Explore Zoo Treks for information about the animals and the habitats.
- Visitors are strictly prohibited from feeding any animal at the Detroit Zoo. Animals have specialized and nutritionally balanced diets, and throwing food and other objects into habitats risks their health and safety. Guests who violate this rule will be escorted from the Zoo.
- Please pay attention to the signs around the Zoo alerting you to any temporary closures as well as all the safety guidelines.
- Click here for food options. Click here for gift options. Credit or debit cards are strongly preferred as means of payment.
GENERAL ZOO RULES
• No feeding the animals
• No smoking or vaping
• No grilling on Zoo grounds
• No biking or skateboarding
• No balls or frisbees
• No roller skates, in-line skates, Heelies or Rollies
• No Hoverboards, Segways or similar upright mobility devices
• No pets on Zoo grounds or in vehicles
• No distribution of printed literature of any kind
• No radios, TVs or drones
• Do not throw things into animal habitats
• Do not climb or cross barriers