Archive: Detroit Zoological Society encourages young environmentalists with the 2022-2023 GreenPrize Award Program
August 26, 2022
ROYAL OAK, Mich.,
The Detroit Zoological Society (DZS) is looking to reward students who are making their schools — and the world — greener with GreenPrize.
The 2022-2023 GreenPrize Award Program is a sustainability-focused project meant to encourage student-led green programs and “Green Teams” in schools. Green Teams or similar clubs focused on environmental sustainability are full of motivated students who give back and create long-lasting change within schools and the greater community. For this program, Green Teams should develop and implement a sustainable and impactful project in their school or community. The winning team will receive a monetary award for their project. A total of $4,500 will be distributed among Green Teams at participating schools in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties.
“This program is a great opportunity to inspire the next generation of environmentalists,” said Andy McDowell, sustainability manager for the DZS. “I can’t wait to see how local students use their creativity to propose and implement green solutions and projects inside their schools.”
GreenPrize is open to all middle and high schools in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties. If a school does not have a Green Team or related group, the DZS encourages interested students to find a champion to help prepare for the competition. This group must also have a staff or faculty advisor to serve as a contact for the project. Advisors will be a go-to for the students and hold students accountable as the project moves through its phases.
Here’s how the GreenPrize Award Program works:
Step 1: PREREGISTER
- Gather a Green Team and confirm participation. Complete this form by Oct. 7.
Step 2: LEARN MORE
- Attend an optional learning session to ask DZS employees questions and learn more about the GreenPrize Award Program. A virtual meeting invitation will be sent to pre-registered contacts for 3 p.m. Oct. 14.
Step 3: SUBMIT A PROPOSAL
- Final proposals must be submitted by Nov. 11.
Step 4: WINNERS ANNOUNCED
- All award winners will be announced via email and on the Detroit Zoo’s social channels Dec. 9.
Step 5: HAVE FUN & GET IT DONE
- All award winners will have the opportunity to win a second prize: a day at the Zoo. Each winning Green Team that successfully uses its winnings to execute a proposal will be treated to a complimentary day at the Zoo. The deadline for implementation is April 4, 2023.
To view full program guidelines, visit detroitzoo.org/greenprize.