The safety protocols and reopening information were developed after reviewing scientific data, consulting with health experts, local officials and other zoos around the world. As a visitor, you are required to follow all of the safety guidelines established by the Detroit Zoological Society. COVID-19 is a new disease that is highly contagious and can cause severe illness and even death. Older adults and people who have underlying illnesses may be at greater risk for severe illness if they contract COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There is still a risk of becoming infected with COVID-19 while in outdoor areas with other people, though it has been established that viruses do not, in general, survive sunlight/UV radiation for very long. When you visit the grounds of the Detroit Zoo, or any other public place, you are accepting there is a risk of exposure to COVID-19.
To limit the spread of COVID-19, everyone must share the responsibility of following safety guidelines to help keep themselves and others safe. When you make the choice to visit the Detroit Zoo, you represent that you are not experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, have not tested positive for COVID-19 within the last two weeks and have not been in direct personal contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 within the last two weeks. While in the Zoo, you are expected to observe the DZS’s safety guidelines that are derived from the CDC, WHO and other experts. They are outlined above and posted throughout the Zoo and include wearing a personal mask, following posted routes of circulation, physical distancing and adhering to sanitization requirements.
- No refunds/exchanges
- One admission/show/ride per ticket
- Not responsible for lost/stolen tickets
- Admission tickets not valid for special events
- Memberships ordered online become effective immediately and your email confirmation serves as your temporary card granting you free admission and parking to the Zoo. Please print your confirmation receipt at the end of your transaction
- Membership Gift Certificates will begin the day that the recipient redeems it and expires one year from that date.
- Allow a minimum of three to seven days for processing memberships purchased online, and a minimum of two weeks for memberships purchased by mail.
- One cardholder listed on the membership must be present any time the membership is used for admission to the Zoo.
- Zoo memberships are non-transferable and non-refundable.
- The Detroit Zoo reserves the right to revoke a membership if appropriate conduct has been violated.
- If you purchase your membership at the Zoo, you will receive your membership card immediately.
- I give the Detroit Zoological Society permission to administer basic first aid (i.e. bandage, icepack) to the above participant. The Detroit Zoological Society does not dispense medications, including pain relievers. In case of illness or injury to my child, I give consent to the Detroit Zoological Society to seek medical attention for the above participant and I hereby authorize any treatment deemed necessary. I understand that I will be responsible for any associated costs. Special arrangements can be made for administration of medications to a child with signed permission from a parent. I understand that my child is allowed to carry emergency medications (inhalers, epinephrine injectors) with signed parent permission.
- I give the Detroit Zoological Society or its agent’s permission to take photos, audio recordings and/or video of the above participant and to use said media taken of the above participant for promotional efforts, and I waive any right to compensation for such use.